Saturday, January 06, 2007

Content


Yes, I am very content! Today I just feel perfectly happy. This area of Africa seems to have that effect on me. We arrived in Uganda today. What a beautiful place. The people are beautiful, friendly, talkative and they speak English! The scenery is astounding and everything just feels right today. It's strange that I have such feelings of contentment today as we spent the morning in Rwanda in the genocide museum. Although we were aware of what happened, it was still shocking to see another account of what happened and as Brian was saying yesterday realize that the people we are seeing and meeting have all been profoundly affected by it. To me, Rwanda is really an example of hope to me. Things really seem to be getting better in my eyes. As we experience different parts of the world I think I've really been able to see both the best and the worst in humanity. People struggle to survive and this comes out in so many ways. We are such a fallen race.....and yet I'm happy today because I can see hope.




Anyway....we still have some updating to do on what we are up to and what we've been up to. Starting with the past......

I had my hair braided. It took about 7 hrs. to have done and while all 4 ladies were working on it I was fighting back the tears and the screams of pain vowing that I will never do this again. But, the end product was worth it!



Brian also had an opportunity to see a beekeeping opperation in Burundi. He was expecting to see a much more primitive operation and was surprised to see how advanced it actually was. They had everything from European style hives, to stainless steel bottling tanks.

We also visited the infamous Burundi Snake museum. I know that the Cornerstone team that went last year also had the priveldge of this experience as well. It was shocking to have a venomous viper on the floor only a few feet away from us while watching a python strangle his prey. I'm sure that any animal rights activist in Canada would go crazy if they saw the way these snakes are pushed, banged, and jarred just so that we could see their reactions. Chris (Loewen) this picture is for you.



And now for the present......

We had a great time traveling through Kigali, Rwanda on moto taxis (motorbikes) today before jumping into a minibus crammed with 24 people (in an 14 seater) and heading for Uganda. It continues to be such beautiful area. On arriving, we got some popcorn, pineapple and passion fruit for an amazing lunch and hopped into a real dug-out canoe and traveled to an island on Lake Bunyonyi where we plan to spend a few days. It's so beautiful here that I actually told Brian that I think I could live here. It looks kinda like The Shire. I almost expect to see hobbits running around here. Everything is green, the hills are terraced and there is water all around us. We continue to be excited about the things we are doing and seeing. This is such a beautiful part of the world! I think you should all come out here to experience it! It's well worth the trip....as long as you don't mind a bit of adventure.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

i love being able to comment first. i think being closer to your time lets me see your blogs first sometimes. Erin I absolutely looooove the hair. It's perfect. Although it is strange seeing the hair off your face that much. Can't wait to actually talk to you guys again. The pics are awesome, but I have so many questions and comments this page would never be long enough. Love you guys,

Rachie

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brian is what kind of snake are you holding?

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello you two: Erin I like the hair style and I see that Brian got a hair cut too. Maybe he should have gotten braids ha-ha.instead. The blogs are great, very moving stories. Take care talk to you soon. Mom

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home